Rich Graziano, President and General Manager of PIX11 spoke out against gun violence on the steps of City Hall in Manhattan today, alongside Councilmember Jumaane Williams and activist Tamika Mallory, in support of the declaration of June as Gun Violence Awareness Month across...Read More
Rich J. Graziano is the President and General Manager of WPIX-TV. He is responsible for all aspects of the station, including strategic planning and day-to-day operations. Since 2009, Graziano has served as the leader of Tribune’s media properties in Hartford, Connecticut; he...Read More
Rich J. Graziano, President & General Manager of WPIX-TV
PIX11 helping women obtain free mammograms & breast exams on October 29
Available to uninsured women of all ages
Each year in New York, almost 15,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer and almost 2,700 women die from the disease. In New Jersey, more than 7,000 women are diagnosed and nearly 1,300 women die from the disease each year.
On Wednesday, October 29, PIX11 News joins the fight against breast cancer with PIX11 Cares: A Breast Cancer Awareness Month News Special, a 30-minute informational special. Hosted by Tamsen Fadal, PIX11 Cares: A Breast Cancer Awareness Month News Special will air from 5:30-6pm.
The special will feature:
• BRCA1 and 2/ Are You A Candidate? The BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutations drastically increase a woman’s risk of developing breast cancer. PIX11 News will explore BRCA testing, the hurdles and psychological impact of the test results.
• PIX11’s Lisa Mateo offers tips on healthy lifestyles to lower risk, Kirstin Cole speaks with a cancer survivor creating wigs for women using their own hair and Ayana Harry speaks with two cancer survivors who share their personal stories.
• Tamsen’s Story: Tamsen, who lost her mother to breast cancer, will share her personal story – from taking the BRCA test to her visits with a genetic counselor.
In addition, PIX11 will help uninsured women obtain free mammograms and breast exams in Brooklyn and New Jersey on 10/29.
PIX11 News has partnered with Project Renewal to provide free mammograms to women across New York City. On Wednesday, October 29, join Tamsen, Susan G. Komen Greater NYC’s CEO Linda Tantawi and Miss USA Nia Sanchez, outside the Kings County Courthouse in Brooklyn from 5-6pm where Project Renewal’s ScanVan will be giving free mammograms all day long. The ScanVan exists in part due to funding from Komen Greater NYC. Mammogram appointment information: http://pix11.com/2014/10/13/how-to-get-your-free-mammogram/
FREE BREAST EXAMS:
PIX11 has also partnered with St. Michael’s Medical Center to provide free breast exams. Join PIX11’s Ann Mercogliano and Steve Weatherford, NY Giant and spokesperson for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, on Wednesday, October 29 at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center in Newark, NJ
• St. Michael’s Medical Center “In the Pink” program will perform free clinical breast exams to uninsured women from 4-8pm (Screenings are first come first serve) Women who come to event but can’t be screened will still be entered into the St. Michael’s system and be given an appointment at another time.
. Women needing a follow-up mammogram will be given a voucher for a free mammogram.
• Dr. Rachel Wellner, certified breast surgeon, will also be demonstrating how to perform self-breast exams, giving an informational talk and answering questions.
PIX11 has additional coverage online at www.pix11.com/breastcancer including PIX11 viewer Star Lopez’s video diary, which chronicles the week leading up to her double mastectomy and her recovery.
“It’s imperative all women have access to preventative measures and options for early detection. I’m coming up on the age where my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, ultimately losing her battle, so this is an issue very close to my heart,” said Fadal. “I’m dedicated to empowering women with information, and these free screenings are the first step. Our goal is to save lives until a cure is found.”
“The goal of PIX11 Cares: A Breast Cancer Awareness Month News Special is to educate women and their families about this devastating disease, and offer free screenings for uninsured women, giving ALL women a chance at early detection, regardless of means,” said Rich Graziano, President/GM, PIX11.
Follow socially #BCAMPIX and #PIX11Cares